You guys read that right. I quit going to the gym. That doesn’t mean however that I quit on working out. I’m simply focusing on doing them outside of the gym🙂 Well, to be honest with you all, since starting my fitness journey in 2011, I only subscribed to the gym for about half a year. I regularly went when I lived with my sister’s family in Toronto as I did not have space to do my workouts. Don’t get me wrong, I have quite a number of reasons why I love going to the gym: I get to use different types of equipment and additional facilities like the sauna and the studio!
So why did I stop going? Here are my 5 reasons:
1. To save money – This is the most obvious reason. Although most gyms are affordable nowadays, an additional $30-50 dollars in my pocket is always appreciated. Not to mention, I also save money on transportation fees.
2. To save time – When I had my gym membership, I had to travel at least 30 minutes to get to gym. I find it pretty time-consuming considering I could be halfway done my workout with the time spent. It also saves me energy and gives me more time for other things I’d like to do.
3. I enjoy my privacy – I had a few incidents where I was uncomfortably bothered by other people in the gym–this why I prefer having a workout buddy in the gym. Unfortunately, at that time I did not have anyone with me. As a woman, it is no surprise that we’re prone to get looks and stares here and there by the opposite sex. Sometimes it is not in a rude of negative way but when the vibe hits me differently, it becomes so uncomfortable. Also, I enjoy not having to wait for and/or share equipment–definitely a plus for me.
4. It gets rid of excuses – Combining all of the reasons points out to this one. When you don’t need to spend money, allot extra time, and the ‘gym’ is right in the comfort of your home, there is no excuse not to get your workout in. It feels good not having to rely on the gym to have a great workout🙂
5. To spend more time outdoors – I live in CALIFORNIA for goodness sake! A lot of people dream to be where I am. I am taking this opportunity to enjoy the beauty that surrounds me and LA weather permits me to do so year-round!.🙂
How about you? Do you guys prefer working out at the gym or at home? Why or why not–I’d love to hear from you!🙂