I LOVE me a great leg workout. I enjoy the soreness I feel after it and I feel so satisfied when I can’t move my legs because of exhaustion (exaggeration, but you get my point 🙂 )
Changes in my legs were the first thing I noticed when I started working out. It probably took as little as 4 weeks (of consistent HIIT) for my legs to start transforming; but, I was definitely shocked in the beginning. At that time, as I looked down at my legs at, it seemed as though my calves were getting too big or I was starting to look masculine. I later realized that this wasn’t the case! My lower body was simply molding into this lean, strong, beautiful work of art.
There are a LOT of leg exercises that I truly love and enjoy that requires the use of an exercise machine. However, I have cancelled my gym membership since moving to LA and dedicated to doing my training from home. My equipment is limited but that doesn’t restrain me from getting an amazing workout! So with that, I am very pleased to share with you 5 of my favorite leg exercises that do not need a machine! 🙂
DISCLAIMER: You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Katrina Jean Carter from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of KatrinaJeanCarter.wordpress.com’s negligence.
- Jump Squats – A classic but definitely a favorite as it WORKS! By adding the jump to the squat, you work your entire body–meaning, more calories burned. Now who doesn’t want that? 🙂 To perform, do a squat and jump up as high as you can. Try adding 3 sets of 15-20 reps to your leg workout and do them as fast as you can.
- Alternating Jump Lunges – if you guys have been following my blog, you have seen this in my favorite bodyweight exercises. Once again, I love this because it works the entire body and they are super fun to do. Start in a lunge position, placing your hands behind your head or on your hips. From here, jump up and land to a lunge position on the opposite leg. (Try 15 in a row for 1 set)
- Pistol Squats – This is also known as the single leg squat! This exercise falls on the advanced category and definitely requires some practice to master. It took me almost a year before I can fully do this exercise without using the easier variations and without the assistance of a chair. Start by standing up, stretch both hands and one foot infront of you, making sure you plant your other foot firmly to the ground. Carefully lower yourself to the floor while keeping both hands and one foot above the floor. Lift yoursef back up and that’s one rep. Depending on your level, your reps can range from 5-8, 8-10, or 12-15 with 3 sets each leg. I do these at the beginning of my workout as it requires a lot of effort from me. I like getting the difficult ones out of the way early. Also, do not forget to click on the exercise name to see this in motion 🙂
- Back Leg Extension – My glute muscles always feel amazing when I add this to my workout. You can do this exercise standing up with the assistance of something sturdy to hold on to, or even use cables at the gym. However, I personally prefer doing these on my knees as it allows me to perform it in full range of motion. Try adding 15 reps of 3 set each leg and feel the burn! 🙂
- Leaning Camel – I just found out about this exercise a few months ago–can you believe that? It has since been one of my favorites due to how it really challenged my core and lower body strength especially my quads! You can perform these just with your bodyweight or with weights such as a plate, a dumbell, a kettlebell, or a sandbag. Add 12-15 reps of 3 sets to complete leg day!